Malvoyant
  • Version française
  • English version
  • Deutsche Version
  • Versione italiana
  • Nederlandse versie
  • Print
  • Obtain a pdf version
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Site map
  • Contact

Châtillon-en-Diois - Les Nonières

Map
Dénivelé
Distance 11.3km
Time 4h30
+ 1151m
- 852m
Heritage

CHÂTILLON-EN-DIOIS

 

Châtillon-en-Diois was founded during the Gallo-Roman, but it was then situated on flat ground, approximately 1 km from the West of the current village.
 
Afterwards, the repetitive invasions of 'barbarians', the rivalries and the confrontations between feudal lords motivated the inhabitants to leave their residences of plain and to settle down on a peak easier to defend. We have no documents of this period but at the beginning of the 13th century, the inhabitants are grouped around the rock of the castle. They are approximately 1200 and are grouped in the highest part of the current old town, protected by a rampart which began construction in 1242. They live relatively well from agricultural crops and livestock.
 
They are a free people, the relationship with their Lord is based on a charter which settles the rights and duties of each. The community is administered by an assembly of elected notables, consuls and delegates, a cutting-edge City Council. The charter was renewed by the successive Lords, the bishops of Die from 1321 until the Revolution.
 
However, the end of the middle ages was a difficult period. Châtillon-en-Diois faced bad harvests, the plague and the passage of irregular soldiers during the Hundred Years' War. So the reconstruction of the ramparts was decided in 1379, the perimeter of this new rampart corresponds to the current old town. After these painful events, the village prospers again. It becomes a fortified town controlling the trade with Trièves and begins to extend beyond its walls.
 
In 1551, the bishop of Die worries about the progress of the reformation in the Diois, and multiplies the visits in its diocese. In 1561, the Protestants were numerous enough to found a church.
 
Because of its strategic position on the road of Trièves, Châtillon-en-Diois will be the object of fights between Catholics and Protestants during the religious wars which began in 1562. The castle and the villages’ bulwarks were destroyed in 1573 by the order of the catholic governor of Dauphiné, but the village will stay in the hands of the Protestant party from 1578 until the signature of the Edict of Nantes in 1598. From then on, the municipality takes care of expenses of both places of worship and a temple was built. 
 
At the revocation of the Edict of Nantes many Protestants exiled themselves. However, two years after the revocation there were still 177 Protestant families, the “New converts”, more than half of the inhabitants of the village. And, remarkably, catholics and protestants live together side by side being members of the Chatillon community above all.
 
At the Revolution, the temple destroyed in 1683, is reconstructed on the same place, at the expense of the municipality, for purposes of equity because it also had contributed to build the current church in 1688.
 
The creation of the road from Die to Chatillon began at the end of the 19th century and its continuation of the road avoided the village. From that time, all the commercial activities were developed on this new route and the old town was a little abandoned, which had for compensation its conservation.
 
You can see, the square of Reviron, the City hall, the Temple, the Church and the tower of Clock, but especially stroll in the alleys of the old town, very lively in summer.
 
Sources : «Petite histoire de Châtillon-en- Diois » by Michel Truc.
«Guide pratique pour une visite du Village Médiéval de Chatillon en Diois» par Bernard Ravet, Tourist office of Châtillon-en-Diois
 

RAVEL

 

The villages of Ravel and Ferriers are situated in a coomb in 1100m height, at 3 hours by foot from Chatillon by the GR 94 (or 20 min by car). They were almost completely Protestant from the reformation and nobody left at the Revocation.
 
As there was no existing catholic church in place, the Bishop of Die required that the inhabitants participate in the construction of a chapel which remained almost unused until the Revolution, then it was attributed to the Reformed Church and became the current temple.
 
The place is magnificent, with a view on Dévoluy, Jocou and the crests at the East of the Drôme river.
 
Free visit of the temple. Documentation posted on the spot.

 

 

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Tourist information

  Treschenu-Creyers

26DISOR100004_185069_1006589

It’s an imposing cirque of limestone cliffs marking the South of the Vercors. One marked path makes the round in 2h30 (starting from the village of Arhiane - follow “Les Carnets d’Archiane” with yellow and green trail marks).

Téléphone : 04 75 21 10 07

  Treschenu-Creyers

sitraPan302894_129461_p1090959

Exceptional site for its protected flora. After one short effort you enter the Hauts Plateaux du Vercors Natural Reserve, transhumance territory (pastures, sheepfolds, cairns). From the edge of the cliff, an amazing view on the Mont Aiguille.

Téléphone : 04 75 21 10 07

Col de Menée Croix Huguenote    Treschenu-Creyers

At the pass, above the road tunnel, at 1457 m altitude, stands a wooden cross replacing those erected in 1834 in memory of Diois fleeing into exile by through this passing.

Commentaires

Posté par Christiane sur le chemin des Huguenots le 04/06/2019 :

 Maintenant seule sur chemin avec mon chariot de randonnée j'ai dit zapper cette étape car raid VTT sur une partie du circuit.  Pas forcément compatible avec l'encombrement de mon chariot



Posté par misette le 28/11/2018 :

 Arrivant de Chatillon le 27 aout 2018 nous avons fait étape au gite de Benévise. Nous disposions d'une chambre de 3 lits très confortable. La réservation est en demi-pension . Excellent repas avec produits bio et spécialités du Pays. Le petit dèj était à la hauteur du repas. Ca fait plaisir de s'offrir de temps en temps sur le chemin un tel hébergement. Merci 



Posté par Brigitte et Bruno le 26/05/2018 :

En arrivant dans le hameau de Bénevise par le sentier montant de Menée, le gîte est à 50 métres environ sur la route du Vallon de Combeau à votre gauche.



Posté par Johannes le 23/06/2017 :

Le Gîte d'étape de Bénevise (Partenaire hébergeur) se situe sur le GR965 Sur les pas des Huguenots en amont du hameau des Nonières. Le gîte été repris par Brigitte en Bruno Durand-Woschnitza en 2016.
0475211614  
0644086769 
gitedebenevise@mail.com         
www.gite-de-benevise.com                


Posté par Martial le 14/01/2014 :

Attention pour ceux qui pensaient faire étape au gîte de Benevise, celui-ci est fermé et en vente (Info du 13 janvier 2014).



{map_interactive}

Tourist Offices

Accommodation Partners Accommodation Partners

Other Accommodations

Stop-over lodging L'Auberge de Combeau    Group gîteTreschenu-Creyers

Small inn which looks like a mountain refuge. Located just by the Hauts-Plateaux Natural Reserve. Restaurant only by booking. Renting of snowshoes

Téléphone : 04 75 21 12 63

Hôtel-Restaurant le Mont Barral    Hotel - restaurantTreschenu-Creyers

26AAHOT100439_136538_h-r-mont-barral---exterieur-1

Between Vercors and Provence, in a preserved environment, under the majestic Combeau Rock, Sylvie and her staff will welcome you in their comfortable house, and invite you to taste the flavours of her local cuisine.

Téléphone : 04 75 21 12 21

Restaurants

Restaurant le Mont Barral    Hotel-RestaurantTreschenu-Creyers

sitraRES103554_136549_h-r-mont-barral---exterieur-1

Soothed by the trickle of the fountain, come and enjoy a glass of Clairette de Die or local wine that complement perfectly our regional specialties : Archiane trout, lamb 'caillettes', walnut cake.

Téléphone : 04 75 21 12 21

Other Services

Auteur :
Message :

 

Weather forecast
APIDAE